Masdar To Trial First Battery Storage Facility Connected To Wind Farm

Masdar (Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company) and the Norwegian multinational energy company Equinor have installed, and will soon begin testing, a new battery system designed to store electricity generated by Hywind Scotland, the world’s first commercial-scale floating wind farm.

The battery storage solution is the first in the world to be connected to an offshore wind farm. The project is designed to evaluate the capabilities of advanced storage technologies to optimise the release of electricity from renewable energy plants to transmission grids – from both a technical and commercial perspective.

Deployed at an onshore substation, the battery system known as “Batwind” has a storage capacity of 1.2 megawatts, equivalent to the battery capacity of more than 1.3 million iPhones. By helping to mitigate peaks and troughs in production, the project aims to maximise the commercial value of Hywind Scotland’s electricity output.

Following the successful installation of Batwind, Masdar and Equinor will now explore how the new storage solution can be utilised to improve the operational and cost efficiency of other wind farms – to open up new commercial opportunities in an expanding global wind power market.

Bader Al Lamki, Masdar’s executive director for clean energy, said: “Energy storage is vital to unlocking the full potential of renewables by mitigating the variable nature of wind and solar power. Batwind will help us to understand how we can deploy this new technology in future projects, both in solar power and wind power plants.”

Energy storage is vital to unlocking the full potential of renewables by mitigating the variable nature of wind and solar power. Batwind will help us to understand how we can deploy this new technology in future projects, both in solar power and wind power plants.

Operational data from Batwind will be assessed based on the weather, market prices and consumption patterns to create an intelligent and optimised storage system.

“The variability of renewable energy can to a certain extent be managed by the grid, but to integrate even more renewables, we will need to find new smart solutions for energy storage to reduce system integration costs and provide firm power,” said Hywind development manager, Sebastian Bringsvaerd. “How to do this in a smart and value creating way is what we are aiming to learn from Batwind.”

The Hywind Scotland wind farm was launched in October 2017. Masdar holds a 25 per cent stake in the project while Equinor owns the remaining 75 per cent. The wind farm is made up of five 6-megawatt (MW) turbines floating 25 kilometres off the coast of Peterhead in northeast Scotland.

With an installed capacity of 30MW, Hywind Scotland supplies approximately 6,600 homes and displaces 63,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually.

The project is Masdar’s second offshore wind partnership with Equinor, after the Dudgeon Offshore Wind Farm in the English North Sea.

Since 2006, Masdar has invested in renewable energy projects with a combined value of US$8.5 billion; the company’s share of this investment is $2.7 billion. Besides the UK, Masdar’s renewable energy projects are located in the UAE, Jordan, Mauritania, Egypt, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia and Spain. The electricity generating capacity of these projects, which are either fully operational or under development, is around 3 gigawatts (GW) gross.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About us

Impact4All is designed to deliver the full spectrum of news, analysis and connectivity that allows all players and audiences to become informed and participate at any level in the new energy sector. It is designed to break down barriers between audiences, activists and investors.

Impact4All.org is currently developing and preparing to deploy a best in class, multi-level, universally accessible tender, transaction and e-commerce facility (I4A.exchange). This has been designed and built for all participants, at all levels within the ecosystem of renewable energy and resource management investments. This platform will allow contacts and connections to be facilitated more efficiently, accelerating climate solution projects globally.





Newsletter



CONTACT US

Print Friendly, PDF & Email